ESCOLTA

As we think about new profound streets and a flashback of the smiles in our street people's faces,we found ourselves in the middle of a very known place during the late 70's or as what we knew today as the "ESCOLTA" . Back then Escolta was one of the happy streets in the metro,where actors and actresses gather to perform,where bars are known and great food were served in the what we say "alta-de-suidad" restos,where even Dolphy and Panchito do their stand-up comedy.A place known for its beauty,where expensive goods are sold but this fairy tale don't last long. All its fame and cheers and everything were lost and what's even more devastating is what we saw and witnessed in the streets of Escolta...children in a worn out cart sleeping,families with no place to stay and a small amount of food shared by five,with their dirty plates and bare hands they were able to manage the hunger,that even the leftovers in which I believe can have so much germs that can make them sick were being eaten.

Here,we saw children that seems to don't care regardless of what their life may seem or what they have for tomorrow,they're just happy playing like a normal children that doesn't show tiredness. We approached them with our cameras on our hands and a hope that says "please don't be shy",some smiled at us and pose as we try to capture a wonderful spirit but others seemed to be shy and scared as if it's the first time to see such people with huge cameras. They hurriedly went back to their parents whom standing nearby.The father told him to "go on,let them take your picture" with a smile on his face.On the other hand we can see their mother preparing their food with plates that seemed to me like a haven of germs and bacteria.

Slowly the child stepped out from his shyness and played with his siblings as we took the liberty of taking their pictures,as they enjoyed the limelight for the moment.After that we gave them a little help which we know wont change their form of being or how they're suffering but maybe just maybe it will help them for that span of time. We went on but I know inside me that I'm not contented with that little amount I gave them.In my heart I hoped that someday someone can give them enough help for them to live in a clean and simple place.Some place where it is safe for small children to live.
In our continuous stroll in the streets of Escolta, I noticed this old lady sitting in the corner of the street,I hesitate to approach her so I simply took a shot of her in a place not so far from her,but as odd as it may sound I still took the courage to approach her and asked her if I can take her picture.In my mind I know she'll "shoo" me or say no for an answer but with all smiles she looked at me and told me "Yes".I even had a chance to talk with her and asked her name,it was Aling Francisca Pascual a beggar in the streets of Escolta.In our chit-chat she told me that she has no place to stay,no family nor friends,all she has is the wide streets of escolta and the lightpost of these streets. I wanted to talk with her and continue our little chitchat but we have a long way to walk towards the streets of BASECO..Every place has its own stories to tell,every place has it's own original version of ones uniqueness..that's BASECO--also a not so rich place in the metro and a story of a that's yet to be told...


BASECO my next journey...